From 18 to 21 February 2015 the Karl Popper Foundation at the University of Klagenfurt is organizing a symposium to mark the 70th birthday of Manfred Lube, the former Librarian of the University. Dr. Lube was responsible for planning and setting up the Karl Popper Library, and everyone who has visited this library within a library agrees that he has done a superb job. Dr. Lube has also developed and maintained the formidable online bibliography of Popper's writings and secondary literature. The theme of the symposium, The Written Word, combines Dr. Lube's professional interests with the philosophy of Karl Popper. The speakers will present papers that bear on Popper’s theory of world 3 in various ways, both critically and constructively.
In addition to the social events, a guided tour of the collection of Popper’s books and papers will be arranged.
The President of the KPF, Reinhard Neck (Klagenfurt), is the principal organizer of the symposium.
Co-organizers are Karl Milford (Universität Wien), David Miller (University of Warwick), and Jack Birner (Università di Trento). The symposium is organized with the support of the Karl Popper Foundation Klagenfurt, the Evert Beth Foundation, the Research Council of the Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt and the University Library of the Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt.
- Peter Backes, Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, "Popper’s theory of World 3 and the Evolution of the Internet"
- Brian Boyd, University of Auckland, “Popper’s World 3: Origins, Progress, and Import”
- Hubert Cambier, Independent Scholar, Bruxelles, "The Evolutionist Meaning of World 3”
- Francesco Di Iorio, LUISS, Roma, “World 3 and Methodological Individualism in Popper’s Thought”
- Nir Fresco, Sidney M. Edelstein Centre for the History and Philosophy of Science, Technology and Medicine at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, "Popper’s Falsification Theory and the “Objectivity” of Information"
- Volker Gadenne, Johannes Kepler Universität Linz, “Is there a World 3?”
- Wolfgang Kerber, Österreichische Zentralbibliothek für Physik & Fachbereichsbibliothek Chemie, Wien, “A Remarkable Triangle: Popper, Lube, Schrödinger“
- Heidi König-Porstner, Universität Wien, “The Knowledge Society”
- Manfred Lube, Universitätsbibliothek Klagenfurt, "Karl Popper, World 3, and the Arts"
- Jan Michl, Oslo School of Architecture and Design, “Historicism and the Modernist Theory of Design”
- Zuzana Parusniková, Czech Academy of Sciences, Praha, “Criticism of Popper’s World 3 “Ontology”“
- Jeremy Shearmur, Australian National University, Canberra, Popper, “Objectification and the Problem of the Public Sphere“
- Harald Stelzer, Karl Franzens Universität Graz and Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies Universität Potsdam, “The Framing of Future Techniques”
- Miloš Taliga, Matej Bel University, Banská Bystrica, “Why An Objective Interpretation of Falsification Matters”
- Henk Visser, Universiteit Maastricht, “Private Notes on Popper by His First Dutch Follower Adriaan de Groot”
In case you plan to attend the Symposium, you are kindly requested to register, free of charge, by sending an e-mail to ms. Daniela Czell of the Popper Foundation Klagenfurt: Daniela.Czell [at] aau.at . Ms. Czell will also be happy to make your hotel reservation.
Some useful links:
Bild der Karl Popper-Sammlung mit Genehmigung der Universitätsbibliothek Klagenfurt.
Jack Birner (Università di Trento).
jack.birner [at] unitn.it.