The cycle “Doc in Progress” consists of a series of meetings with dissemination purposes.
The speakers are chosen from among currently PhD students, as the name suggests, in Mathematics or related fields. The main aim of the project is the creations of the chance to meet other PhD students in order to offer opportunities for dialogue and possible future collaborations.
> To participate in the events, please contact sara.sottile [at] unitn.it (subject: Doc%20in%20Progress) (Sara Sottile) using an institutional e-mail address
A case study of proof mining in analysis
Franziskus Wolfgang Josef Wiesnet, University of Trento - University of Verona, PhD Student in Mathematics
Date: January 14, 2021 at 3.00 p.m.
The presentation is based on a joint work with Thomas Powell. We have used a classical convergence proof to develop a more general and computational version of the original statement. In other words: we have extracted an explicit rate of convergence out of the classical proof even in a more general setting. We apply our statement to some applications like fix point theorems in Banach spaces. Possible applications are a fix point theorem for asymptotically contractive mappings in uniformly smooth spaces and a convergence theorem of the Mann-Iteration. The talk does not require a deep knowledge about proof theory and analysis. It just uses the basic notions of analysis.
Rectifiable measures: a local-to-global adventure tailored for Carnot groups
Gioacchino Antonelli, PhD Student in Mathematics, Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa
Date: February 11, 2021 at 3.00 p.m.
• December 17, 2020 - Symmetrizations on smooth and singular spaces, Mattia Vedovato, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Trento
• November 26, 2020 - Asymptotic equivalence of two strict deformation quantizations and applications to the classical limit, Christiaan Van De Ven, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Trento
• October 29, 2020 - Groups of automorphisms of trees, Elena Di Domenico, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Trento - University of the Basque Country
• May 29, 2020 - Normal modes: a jump from linear to nonlinear, Sara Galasso, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Padova
• May 7, 2020 - A strange space with wormholes, Marco Capolli, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Trento
• February 13, 2020 - Enumerative combinatorics of pattern posets, Matteo Cervetti, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Trento
• December 12, 2019 - Everything you always wanted to know about Whitney forms*. *but were afraid to ask, Ludovico Bruni Bruno, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Trento
• November 14, 2019 - Maximal and Typical topology of Real Polynomial Singularities, Michele Stecconi, PhD Student in Mathematics, Scuola Superiore di Studi Avanzati – SISSA
• October 29, 2019 - An Introduction to Varifold Geometry and Applications, Marco Pozzetta, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Pisa
• October 3, 2019 - The Inverse Mean Curvature Flow: from Geometric Analysis to General Relativity, Mattia Fogagnolo, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Trento
• September 11, 2019 - An introduction to Geometric Singular Perturbation Theory, Mattia Sensi, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Trento
• July 11, 2019 - The Waring’s Heritage, Daniele Taufer, PhD Student in Mathematics, University of Trento
• June 27, 2019 - Obstacle problems in linearized elasticity, Paolo Piersanti, PhD Student in Mathematics, City University of Hong Kong
edited by Communication and Events Office - polo di Collina