On the 19th of March 2020, twelve universities and research institutes that are members of the Italian section of Scholars at Risk have signed a petition in support of Patrick George Zaki, the Egyptian student enrolled in a master degree at the University of Bologna who is currently detained in Egypt. With the letter, subscribing universities/institutes express their solidarity to Patrick George Zaki and his family, and urge Egyptian authorities to release him unconditionally.
The petition has been subscribed by:
- the European University Institute (EUI),
- the Scuola Normale Superiore of Pisa (SNS),
- the Scuola Internazionale Superiore di Studi Avanzati (SISSA),
- the University of Cagliari,
- the University of Firenze,
- the University of Genova,
- the University of Padova,
- the University Pavia,
- the University of Siena,
- the University of Trento,
- the University of Trieste,
- the University of Udine.
The Italian section of Scholars at Risk was launched on the 19th of February 2019, and it gathers today 23 universities and research institutes.