Applications are open to participate as a "solver" in the MediTech Challenge - Vascular Surgery, a joint initiative of the University of Trento and the Provincial Company for Health Services of the Autonomous Province of Trento, in collaboration with the Fondazione Hub Innovazione Trentino (HIT) .
The challenge aims to generate technological solutions for technical issues in the field of vascular surgery.
Who can participate as solvers
- Students enrolled in master's degree courses at the University of Trento
- Doctoral students and young researchers of the University of Trento
- Master's or PhD graduates from the University of Trento for no more than 18 months
Resident physicians will also participate in the initiative and will support the students in the process of learning the challenges and in the process of designing and developing concepts and prototypes of solutions.
Solvers will form multidisciplinary teams to collaborate on devising solutions to challenges through carrying out research, development and innovation activities such as: data acquisition; data analysis with advanced software; modeling of phenomena and processes; access to laboratories for the use of machinery; carrying out experimental tests; field observation; design and engineering of prototype solutions to challenges.
The initiative will also involve some leading companies specialized in the medical engineering field as well as vascular surgeons and professors from the University of Trento.
1. design of customized prostheses (stents) produced with innovative materials and processes such as to allow adaptation to different anatomies;
2. design of intelligent stents, systems or processes capable of minimizing or preventing the occurrence of type 1 endoleaks;
3. design of systems capable of reducing exposure to X-rays of patient and surgeon during surgery;
4. design of intelligent stents, systems or processes capable of minimizing or preventing the occurrence of type 2 endoleaks;
5. creation of robots capable of innovating the process and practices of surgical interventions;
6. systems to support the intelligent and optimal planning and execution of surgical Interventions.
How to participate
The challenge will take place from February to May 2024 for a total commitment of the solvers of the University of Trento equal to approximately 100 hours of activity.
Doctoral students of the IECS Doctoral School will be awarded 3 credits, provided the advisor’s approval and a positive evaluation.
To participate it is mandatory to fill out an online application by
November 24th, 2023 December 11th, 2023 (Extended Deadline for applications)
All details are available at https://www.disi.unitn.it/challenges/MediTech-Challenge-Chirurgia-Vascolare-2024-solvers