CoCoA Summer School
In cooperation with:
|ELA - Education Law and
|EPLO - European Public Law Organization|
Co.Co.A. Summer School (Comparing Constitutional Adjudication: A Summer School on Comparative Interpretation of European Constitutional Jurisprudence).
"Constitutional Adjudication in Education Law: A Comparative Approach within the Council of Europe"
Co.Co.A. Summer School has been initially run for four seasons (2006/2009) by the Faculty of Law, University of Trento under the European Marie Curie Programme. It is offered again in 2014 furthering the previous profitable experiences and keeping the same main features and purposes: providing an opportunity for (a) senior (guest speakers) and junior scholars (tutors), (b) legal assistants and law clerks to constitutional judges as well as (c) younger researchers, post-doc students and PhD candidates (participants) – operating mainly in member states of the Council of Europe – to meet, interact, train and being trained and plan future research in comparative constitutional adjudication.
The Summer School aims at comparing judicial decisions from national and European (ECtHR, ECJ) jurisdictions on selected constitutional issues and is founded on theoretical introductory lectures by the guest speakers, and on selection, presentation and discussion of cases in workshops led by participants and assisted by the guest speakers and the tutors. Each participant is required to choose the main cases from his/her jurisdiction that best contribute to establishing the European paradigm of European jurisprudence on that same issue.
The theme chosen for the 2014 Co.Co.A. Summer School is “Constitutional Adjudication in Education Law: A Comparative Approach within the Council of Europe”.
The Summer School is to deal with topics such as the right to education, the duty to education and home schooling, freedom to establish private schools, religious instruction in public schools, public funding of denominational schools, religious symbols in public schools, freedom of teachers in private and public schools, state control of the curriculum and accreditation, etc.
Such topics – increasingly cause of social confrontation, scholarly articulation, political debate, law-making and eventually of judicial litigation and therefore presumably at the core of constitutional adjudication in national and European jurisdictions - will be dealt with by the guest speakers (one lecture followed by discussion) as well as by the participants, who will present the case law of their respective jurisdiction.
The Summer School will then offer a combination of lectures and workshops; each lecture is expected to have a comparative approach and deal with judicial decisions from CoE member states as well as from the ECtHR and ECJ.
- Roberto Toniatti, University of Trento
- Benito Aláez Corral, University of Oviedo
- Fabrizio Fracchia, Bocconi University, Milan
- Merilin Kiviorg, Wolfson College, Oxford University
- Gracienne Lauwers, University of Antwerp and and Free University, Bruxelles
- Cinzia Piciocchi, University of Trento
- One Week: from Monday July 28th to Friday August 1st, 2014.
Participants are expected to arrive by Sunday July 27th and to leave on Friday August 1st afternoon. Wednesday July 30th will have the afternoon free for leisure.
Individual registration fee:
- Euro 200,00. It includes accommodation for the duration of the summer school (five nights) and full board (in double room - breakfast, lunch, dinner and coffee break).
- For the accommodation in a single room, if required, an additional payment (Euro 11,00 per day) is requested.
- The travel arrangement and the related expenses are in charge of participants.
- No total or partial waiver of the individual registration free can be granted.
- Not fewer than 15 and not more than 30.
- (a) Law Clerks are to be selected by the Presidents of Constitutional Courts/Supreme Courts
- (b) PhD Candidates, PhDs, Researchers, Students of advanced courses (post-lauream) are selected with reference to their research work in the field selected (CV and publications)
- Application form (see box download)
- Letter of motivation
- for applications: Monday, April 28th, 2014 - the deadline has been extended to May 9th, 2014
- for selection: Monday, May 12th, 2014
- for registration: Friday, 23rd May, 2014
- The Summer School will be held in English
- Hotel Bellavista, Levico Terme, Trentino - 50 minutes from Trento by train
- Programme Edition 2006
- Programme Edition 2007
- Programme Edition 2008
- Programme Edition 2009
- Papers - Previous Edition