NAMEPES Summer School - 20-24 June 2022
Admission is reserved to:
- 15 students enrolled at the University of Trento
- 20 students enrolled at IMSISS Master's Degree
- 15 external candidates (students or graduates)
The North Africa Middle East Politics and EU Security – NAMEPES Summer School will provide its participants with a deep understanding of the relations between the MENA region and the European Union in different aspects (geopolitics, international relations, economics, law).
Most of the Middle Eastern and North African countries (MENA) have spent a period of political instability in the last two decades. The region, most related to Europe for both historical reasons and geographical proximity, is one of the most complex and conflictual regions in the world. Inter-state and civil wars, terrorism, political instability and poverty have had repercussions both within the MENA borders and in the neighboring countries.
In addition to hosting important European trade routes, endowment in vast energy resources and the global energy supply security dependence give this region a greater strategic relevance.
The Summer School will also analyze in depth the domestic and foreign policy of the main regional players in the Middle Eastern politics by highlighting the role of institutions, civil society and political ideologies, particularly political Islam and nationalism.
The Summer School Program is available at the bottom of this page.
On Friday 24th the Conference "The New Geopolitics of MENA Countries and the EU: Analysing the Role of other Global Competitors (US, China, and Russia)" is scheduled: full details of the Conference Program are available at the bottom of this page.
Workload and Credits
The Summer School lasts 5 full days (from Monday to Friday). Participation to all the sessions is required to obtain the final Certificate of Participation.
Participants can opt to submit a final assignment to apply for 3 ECTS (each participant needs to check with their own university for the recognition process of the credits).
In order to apply, candidates need to fulfill the following eligibility requirements:
- PhD students, MA students and graduates, preferably in Middle East Studies, International Relations, Political Science, Economics, Law, History.
- BA students are eligible only if they have completed at least one academic course in the field of Middle East Studies, or topics strictly related to this area.
- English B2 level.
The application process will be open until May 19th 2022 h 23:59 (Italian time).
Students are asked to upload the following supporting documents: a CV, a Transcript of Records, an English B2 language certification (optional) and a motivation letter, by filling in the online application.
Eligible candidates will be selected upon evaluation of the supporting documents listed above.
- May 19 2022: Applications' Deadline
- May 2022: Confirmation of Selected Applications
- May 27th 2022: Participants' Registration Deadline
- June 20-24 2022: Summer School
No participation cost is foreseen for the participants.
The Summer School is supported by the European Commission within Jean Monnet Action co-financing the Project North Africa Middle East Politics and EU Security NAMEPES (2019 – 2022), coordinated by Prof. Pejman Abdolmohammadi.
Tuition fees, coffee breaks, lunches and one social dinner with the speakers are covered by the European Grant.
All other costs (travel expenses, accommodation, visa and health insurance, dinners, personal expenses, etc.) are at each participant's charge.
For further information please check the documents available in the downloads' section.
Accommodation is not included. However, external participants may seek assistance from NAMEPES team in finding an accommodation. For further information:please contact the team at namepes [at] unitn.it
- Academic Coordinator: Prof. Pejman Abdolmohammadi; p.abdolmohammadi [at] unitn.it
- Senior Assistant Project Coordinator: Giulia Daga, PhD Candidate; giulia.daga [at] unitn.it
- Assistant Project Coordinator: Claudio Christopher Passalacqua, PhD Candidate; claudio.passalacqua [at] unitn.it
- NAMEPES Team: namepes [at] unitn.it (namepes@unitn.)//namepes [at] unitn.it">it
- School of International Studies - Program Office: sis [at] unitn.it
In cooperation with: